Monday, March 30, 2009

To Set the Record Straight

Someone was asking me that day whether I support the Congress or the BJP and since I didn't want to sting anyone's political sentiments, I just added discreetly that "my vote is private".

And that wasn't received well.


I don't quite get it - I'm allowed to vote for whoever I want, but I can't really talk about the party I support, even if by some helluva lucky chance, it turns out to be the same party that the person asking me about it supports, and his fanaticism doesn't evolve into rage. Then again, who am I to comment on this, when someone as famous as Shashi Tharoor is given slack for writing a pro-Israel piece, even if India's stand on the conflict is pro-Palestine. OK, so the government wants to support Palestine. I'm cool with that. What I'm not cool with, is the fact that I am forced to accept the government's stand as my own and support the ties that it feels comfortable with, even if my opinions vary. Moreover, if I do have an alternate opinion, I should keep the darn thing to myself and also face little chance of the Election Commission approving me on the basis of said vocal viewpoint.

Oh, wait. Cancel that. I totally get it now - People with opinions are just not allowed to contest for a position in the state or union legislative assemblies.

Yep, I'm all clear now. I'll just pass on this message to the millions of impressionable young minds across the country so we can be fully assured that we'll never prosper.

Cool.



In more 'Duh-er than Duh' news, if you're above 18 years and have not registered to vote, well then, shame on you.



share on: facebook

No comments: