Monday, March 30, 2009

What's in a Word?

After a four-year hiatus, I checked out some popular Harry Potter fansites today 'cause, you know, I'm THAT bored, and re-enlightened myself over when the next movie was releasing.

Granted, I've waited years for a Harry-Ginny make out session, but once you realize that Harry is somewhat mentally challenged and might turn out to be an awful boyfriend, what with his distressing emotional history, frequent violent tendencies and claims that a conveniently-shaped scar on his head causes him to be the freak that he is, you stop being envious and just feel plain bad for Ms. Weasley.


Actually, there is no base to this image. Except that
you don't really need a reason to post a picture
of Daniel Radcliffe, right?



Which brings me to what I really wanted to talk about --- There was this period in middle school when fantasy movies and books were all the rage. I'm talking bespectacled boy-wizards, Deathstars, closets opening into another world, accursed pirates, tiny ring-bearers with hairy feet... And they were all runaway hits. So obviously, that made us resort to lingo used in these films in everyday life as a last-ditch attempt to look somewhat cool.

Well, now I regret it. Not just because it was utterly lame, but also owing to the fact that Britney Spears really appealed to my demographic back then so there were frequent requests from people asking you to hit them, baby, one more time.


I recall this conversation some prefects in my school (who were older than me and certified geeks... And also very, very jobless) outside the senior library, which was off-limits for a few hours as the librarian was away.


Prefect 1 : So what? We just wait here till the librarian gets back?

P2 : Whatever. I'm going in.

P3 : (eyes darkening and hair blowing around wildly) One does not simply walk into Mordor!

P2 : Say, what?

P4 : Yeah, she's right. The Great Eye is ever-watchful.

P2: (Eyes P3 whose hair is still blowing about) Hermione here might need some conditioner.

P1 : Nothing a little 'swish and flick' can't solve. (giggles madly)

P3 : (Patting down hair) Oh, you laugh now, little one. When that White Witch turns up before you get out, what will you do then?

P5 : (Silent all this while) I'd love me some Aragorn... (Deep sigh of painful longing)

P4 : Oh, please, bitch. Aragorn is mine. You can have Jack.

P5 : (Lights up) Sparrow?!

P4 : Well, actually... I've registered Sparrow too. You know, in case.

P5 : (dejected) Oh. I'll just take Prince Caspian then...

P2 : C'mon! Let's go in. We ain't the Marauders for nothing!

P1 : Yeah, let's go. The Trio shall always stand united!

P4 : There's five of us...

P1 : (makes offensive gesture involving a finger or two) F-

P3 : I'm not going in there.

P1 : Then stay here and pull a Boromir. We're going. (Pushes open the door)

P4 : (grumpily) Good luck, earthlings! May the Force be with you.

Librarian : (reaching the spot, says to P4) You're in detention, just for ruining the Yoda impression.


OK so that wasn't what really happened, but it was a long time ago and it's late and I'm tired and really need some shut-eye.



share on: facebook

No comments: