Friday, April 24, 2009

On Request

A friend asked me to do a piece on the recent Akriti Bhatia controversy, expecting my usual cynicism on the topic. But frankly, it hardly calls for any sarcastic remarks, not just because it would be distasteful, but since it's already a very obvious issue that we know prevails, but very few attempt to fix. My own school had terribly unhygienic bathrooms, a nurse who would make you pay for sanitary napkins and an administration that just never quite cared if you were genuinely sick, since it was a generalized notion that all kids tend to fake illnesses to skip class. That was the degree of trust and responsibility the school had over the kids. And we just couldn't care less, never bothering to complain about it or pose it as a serious issue so that it can be rectified.

I also found certain facts quite odd, one being that Akriti was not in possession of an asthma spray. Every child who is diagnosed with asthma is required to carry the mouth spray around for a temporary relief in case of an attack so that they can at least request help. And it is true that not all schools are given nebulizers since it is required that they be used with caution and in the most severe of emergencies. It is also not possible for all schools to have an on-call doctor since the doctor-patient ratio in the country is already at a pathetic number.

Further, many facts still remain unclear, like those of the exact time taken since she went to the school clinic to when she reached the hospital, and whether she complained of a discomfort or recognized that it was an asthma attack.

I'm quite sick of cynicism at this point, especially when it comes to school-related controversies such as slow medical attention and ragging. They are definitely issues to deal with, but when the media highlights to such a point that it stands on the knife edge that wavers between the duty of a journalist and the disgusting lack of media ethics, you tend to sit back and wonder how cases involving humiliation and pain for the parties concerned can be so blatantly projected, just to take full advantage of a little necessary evil called 'freedom of the press'.
.
share on: facebook

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll ignore the last post because there's absolutely nothing to comment on. The guy's yet to know what puberty is and I'd better not even start on the 'actress'.

This post however, gives a lot of ground for discussion. The whole incident has been plunged into a blame game, whereas it is, in my opinion, nothing more than an unfortunate episode. I am an asthmatic, and I haven't been carrying an inhaler for the past 2 years, taking it for granted that the clean air around me (I'm not in India - how's that for a hint?) will never let the situation get worse (my bad!). And I presume neither was the girl in possession of one.

Secondly, the school (even as mighty as Modern School) may chose to keep emergency equipment, but it is not incumbent on them to do so. It's a school after all. However, they deserve to be lined up and shot if the events that transpired, as being claimed by the students, are true. Even if student's feign sickness to skip lessons (I'm glad you mentioned that - I agree) this is absolutely no reason for the school to believe it's another 'crying wolf' story and forget the seriousness and consequences of ignoring a single incident of this nature. Waiting for the dad's car to arrive and take the girl to the hospital should get them another kick in the butt.

Thirdly, not that it matters much, but I did want to save some schools from the clutches of your hasty generalization. My secondary school, principal and all teachers included, never gave me a chance to complain about such an issue (and let me tell you I was a habitual nit-picker). So kudos to them for achieving that feat, and to all other institutions who diligently follow procedure to avoid similar occurrences.