Saturday, April 25, 2009

Rahul Gandhi: Not Ready to be PM


At least he has the decency to admit he doesn't quite have the necessary qualifications to be a PM just yet, even as his entire family, and the rest of the Congress, is hell bent on making sure he's the next PM candidate. It's sounds like a Shakespearean tragedy, where a man must choose between his family pressures and appearing sane to the public with his dignity intact.

He stated there were two reasons he wouldn't accept the PM post just yet:

"One is that I am working in the organisation of the Congress party which I think is fundamental for this country. I think it is very important for a strong, progressive, pro-poor youth organisation is developed in this country and that is a very, very big priority of mine.

"Number two is I don't think I have the experience to be the Prime Minister of the country right now," he said.

He earned a gold star in my book for that. But then he had to open his mouth again and say this:

Gandhi struck an aggressive note on being quizzed about the Bofors controversy and the 1984 anti-Sikh riots and whether he was prepared to apologise for them.

"There is absolutely nothing that I have to apologise about Bofors. It is a complete lie," he said adding that the controversy was a "calumny" spread by the Opposition for 20 years.

Rahul also hit out at the BJP blaming them of Babri Masjid demolition.

"Babri Masjid was broken by the politics of BJP. It was broken by the politics of division, it was broken by dividing Indians against Indians."

Striking the opposition for their mistakes, yet not willing to accept your own party's errors shows that he has a lot more growing up to do. Especially when both the incidents were proven to have a major Congress hand, just as the Babri Masjid incident was pinned on the BJP.

Ah, well, that's just the Congress influence for you...
.
share on: facebook

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any man who says 'India is my religion' instantly earns brownie points in my book. I greatly admire his non-communal appeal, and only for that, if nothing else, will I vote for him, if and when he stands for PMship.

I admit that he could have at least chosen to remain silent on the Bofors issue but you can't expect that kind of honesty from such an established party yet. The Opposition would tear them down for it. Clinton's public acceptance that the Taliban was their Frankenstein greatly appealed to me. As for his refusal for PMship, in politics, that's the loudest way of saying, Yes, I accept. Not really on these lines, but check out All the King's Men for some great political action. Worth the time.

(And do I always have to add bracketed post-scripts to warrant a reply? Ref. to "On Request" dt. 24.4.09)

Anonymous said...

It's not really in response to this post but I kinda got bored waiting for your reply (seriously, is AIEEE more important than me?) so I thought I'd post more homework for you.

So what's your take on the rising number of independent candidates this time, especially so in your own city? All these corporate professionals getting their hands dirty. I'm really charmed by their self-claimed transparency and straightforward thinking - but am well aware that being more educated and experienced, they also become more able to mask their true intentions.

However, this picture really melted my heart -

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshowpics/4449782.cms

in comparison to this

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshowpics/4449143.cms

and this.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshowpics/4448843.cms

Your thoughts???

Smartass Numero Uno said...

Then again, a lot of people say that their land is their religion. And they are all politician. Hence they are mostly liars.

Dude, voting for a person just because he advocates ONE certain kind of government isn't right. Frankly, he doesn't have the experience, and has yet to contribute anything major to the Parliamentary discussions. If he's does something in the next 5 years, even proposes a bill or two and fights for it just because he believes in it, and not because the Congress wants it, we can talk about this.

And I didn't expect honesty on the Bofors issue, I expected vaguely diplomatic reply, since that's usually his general response to most issues. I definitely did not think he would lash out at anyone who dared to speak against his family, especially when it's proven that they were in the wrong.

Haha no, AIEEE is on par with the blog. But I was looking more for a Sunday off than for more study time.

LOL, is this Paliath..?

Smartass Numero Uno said...

Forgot about the second comment :-P

Frankly, I don't have any problems with independent candidates, in my city or any other. It's a constitutional right to stand as a representative of your constituency and I respect that. But I also feel it is necessary to work for the advancement of the sole party you think can help the most, especially since these are the general elections, because only if there's a singular majority can something actually be done. If a certain alignment comes to power because of its allies, then their good interests will usually be put down by their allies (as a direct repercussion of their own responsibilities to their sponsors and party leaders) and by the opposition, preventing anything solid from arising from the new parliament.

But if this were the state elections, Meera Sanyal would have my vote.